SEFD Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Good day to you visitor, make sure to follow @SEFDPranks on twitter & like /SEFDPranks on facebook! Other than that, we hope that you enjoy your stay! Here is the latest SEFD news:
Links & images are now enabled! You should now be able to post links, images, videos, etc now in all forums, no clue why it was off. If you still have issue with this, please report it.

Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot

Go down 
2 posters

What's Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot?
Under A Desk
Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot Vote_lcap0%Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
In A Doorway
Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot Vote_lcap50%Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot Vote_rcap
 50% [ 1 ]
Sandwiched In Between Mattresses
Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot Vote_lcap50%Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot Vote_rcap
 50% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 2

AuthorMessage
BRIL
Admin

Sugar Cookies : 222
Respect : 3

Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot Empty
PostSubject: Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot   Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 5:27 pm

Today, there have been a frequent string of little earthquakes in San Diego, & I couldn't help but to think, if a huge one were to happen, & I am here in my room, where would a go to protect myself?

I have always been told to either get under your desk, I have one in my room that I can get under, or to stay in a door way, I also have one of those too. But really, if a big one were to hit, I think that I would sandwich myself under my mattresses, because it is soft & I feel like the cushion would protect me pretty well if anything were to fall on the Mattress.

Let's take a poll, what are your ideas, do you agree with any of these? Do you have your own ideal earthquake spot? Let's discuss and ill add all the good ones to the poll!
Back to top Go down
http://progco.net/sefd

PostSubject: Re: Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot   Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 2:46 am

you would die if you used your mattress lmfao. What if something fell ontop of it and trapped you ? you wouldnt be able to breath and I don't think a little mattress with springs would protect you. The best spot is now under the door way, it used to be under a desk. So I'd choose under a door way.
Back to top Go down
BRIL
Admin

Sugar Cookies : 222
Respect : 3

PostSubject: Re: Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot   Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 4:12 am

You know, I am glad that we can have a discussion about this. It is undoubtedly factual that regardless where you are during a serious earthquake, all places are unsafe. The old myth of under a table has been debunked from being the safest method, & even throughout high school I always questioned who came up with that idea & that I wouldn't do it, sure enough a couple of years later they changed it to doorways. In highschool I always told myself that I would do my best to make it to open space, before the doorway technique came, but thought they were both ideas.

For a long time, I thought they were both good ideas, until I was actually in an earthquake. My experience with an earthquake taught me that the very last thing that you want to be is standing. The ground underneath me was literally moving, it impaired my ability to walk and made me disoriented with every step. So to run to an open space may not be the best idea, as well as standing the whole time during an earthquake in a doorway may not be the best either, you can easily lose your balance & fall over.

That day is when I realized there is not real way to defend against earthquakes, & the people that set up precautions really don't know what they are doing, & so I set my own method, which was the mattress idea. The reason why I think Mattress is the best method is because it essentially shields you with a soft cushion. If an earthquake is so bad that things are going to fall on you & trap you under, then without being under the mattress then youll be directly under plaster & plywood [ granted your house is made of that ]
Back to top Go down
http://progco.net/sefd

PostSubject: Re: Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot   Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 4:33 am

I've never actually been in an actual " earthquake " , so correct me if I'm wrong, couldn't you just lean or hang onto the door way or sit down between it ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot   Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 4:37 am

Oh and.. Come to think of it, the other day I was watching a show about a guy who survived a massive earthquake in a foreign country, the whole building collapsed on him, and getting pinned down, So I'd say my safest bet to survive a earthquake would be to hang on in-between a door way.
Back to top Go down
listener

listener

Sugar Cookies : 17
Respect : 0

PostSubject: Re: Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot   Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 4:52 am

I'm safe in my country haha I've never felt an earthquake in my life :}
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot   Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 4:54 am

I'm in detroit 8 mile at the moment
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot   Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot Empty

Back to top Go down

Your Ideal Earthquake Safespot
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SEFD Forums :: Irrelevancies :: What's on your mind?-
Jump to: